How to add a custom survey to BadgerScan
Any web-based survey may be launched from the Contact Detail page of any BadgerScan contact, as shown below.
Benefits of launching a survey from BadgerScan:
- Automatically pre-populate fields in your survey such as First Name, Last Name and Email with contact data collected on BadgerScan.
- Consolidate contact data collected by multiple team members.
- Provides an immediate backup of contact data collected by BadgerScan.
You have the option to launch a survey that is either:
- Hosted by a third party, such as Google Forms or Survey Monkey, or
- Custom built and hosted on your own web server (In other words, your company has it’s own survey written by a web developer.)
Instructions for implementing these options are detailed below.
Option 1: Create a Google Form survey
- From a computer (mobile devices may not have required options), create or log into your account at drive.google.com.
- Select New then Google Forms.
- In the Form Settings box, un-check Require xxxx login to view this form, if this option exists.
- Create a Title and select the default theme.
- Create questions to ask new contacts.
- First name, last name and/or email address, or any of the Contact Data Keys, listed below, collected with BadgerScan can be used to pre-populate select fields in the survey form. See the instructions below the Contact Data Keys list to implement this pre-population.
Contact Data Keys
- id : unique numeric ID for each contact
- favorite : favorite level from 0 to 3 (yellow = 1, red = 3)
- org : organization affiliation
- displayAddress: formatted address
- event : name of the event where Badge scanned
- lat : GPS latitude at scan time
- long : GPS longitude at scan time
- scanPlace : location at Badge scan time
- scanTime : date and time Badge scanned
- notes : notes saved with contact (launch survey after collecting notes)
- summary : a summary statement of interests provided by the contact
- twitter : twitter screen name
- linkedin : LinkedIn public profile URL
- url : website provided by contact
- To pre-populate survey fields, you must add a form question for each Contact Data Key you wish to store with survey submissions. For example, to add the email address of each person you survey to their response form: (1) create a new question, (2) set the question title to Email, for example, (3) verify that the Question Type is set to Text, (4) press the Done button. Repeat these steps for each type of data you are interested in pre-populating.
- When you have added a question for each of the data types you intend to pre-populate, return to the top of the page and select the Responses (0) menu item.
- From the Responses menu, select Get pre-filled URL.
- In the form that appears, you will see the questions that you have created. Any answers that you provide here will be automatically filled in when you launch the form in the future. Any answers that you provide in this form that exactly match a key from the Contact Data Key table above act as variable placeholders and will be replaced with the information collected from the new contact that you are surveying.
- Continuing with the email example above, for the question titled Email, fill in the answer with the Data Key email.
Complete the form using Data Keys entered exactly as they appear in the Data Key table above.
- Press the Submit button.
- A URL will appear in the box titled Share the link to this form with your pre-filled responses. Copy the link and send it to an email account available on your mobile device.
- A sample survey URL may look like this:
- DO NOT shorten the URL with bitly, goo.gl, tinyurl, ow.ly or any other tool. This URL must be entered into BadgerScan exactly as it is provided.
- Open the email on your device and copy the URL to the form in BadgerScan found under Settings -> Survey as shown here.
- Press the Add survey button.
- An option to Launch Survey will now appear on your Contact Details page for each contact you collect using BadgerScan.
Option 2: Create a Survey Monkey survey
- Create or log into your account at surveymonkey.com.
- Select Create Survey.
- Design your survey. On the Collect Responses tab, choose a Web Link Collector.
- When the web link is displayed, change the Responses Per Computer option to Allow multiple responses per computer.
- Enter the Web Link URL into BadgerScan. From the BadgerScan menu, select Settings then Survey. Enter the URL and press Submit. (Tip: If you create the Form on a computer, you can email the URL to yourself and use the copy and paste feature on your mobile device to avoid typing errors.)
- BadgerScan can automatically submit a custom variable with each survey response. It would be a good idea to use a unique identifier, such as an email address as the custom variable. Then the data from Survey Monkey and the data from BadgerScan can be merged later in Excel or by using a database. To allow BadgerScan to automatically attach the email address of the contact that you are surveying to the survey submission, add the following text to the end of the Survey Monkey URL:
- What comes after the “=” should match the BadgerScan data key that you would like to have added to the survey automatically. In this example, we use the “email” data key.
- An example of the full URL that you would enter into BadgerScan is: https://www.surveymonkey.
Option 3: Link to a custom survey on your own web server
If you create your own survey on your own website, the survey can be launched from BadgerScan by entering the survey URL into the app.
Additionally, contact information collected by BadgerScan can be sent to your survey via the URL. The list of Contact Data Keys above shows all the data that can be collected. If you provide a URL to enter into BadgerScan that contains a Contact Data Key, the key will be replaced with the actual contact data when it is launched from BadgerScan. So a URL that is entered into BadgerScan like this:
will be launched from BadgerScan like this:
From there you can collect the information in your webpage and store it into your own database.